Monday, February 20, 2012

HISTORICAL MARKER UPDATE

The Texas Historical Commission has sent the wording for the marker to be approved!
Knight descendants --If you haven't read it in the email I sent, please read it here.  Let me know if any changes need to be made.  According to the information I have, everything is correct, although it's not worded as eloquently as I would like.  I guess the Commission must cut out all the "flowery" wording in order to get more info onto the plaque.  I've heard from a couple of you already, and I appreciate it!

The inscription reads....
JOHN T. KNIGHT

JOHN THOMAS KNIGHT (1861-1959), BORN IN WINNSBORO, MOVED TO COMMERCE IN 1878.  HE MARRIED ELLA VIRGINIA CARTER IN 1893, AND THE COUPLE RAISED NINE CHILDREN IN THEIR HOME ON MANGUM STREET.  JOHN WAS A PROMINENT CIVIC AND BUSINESS LEADER.  HE WAS A MEMBER AND PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL BOARD FROM 1900-36.  WITH HIS BROTHER, THOMAS, HE OPERATED KNIGHT BROTHERS GROCERY.  HE WAS PRESIDENT OF FARMERS STATE BANK AND DIRECTOR OF FIRST NATIONAL BANK.  JOHN HELPED BRING MAY COLLEGE (NOW TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY-COMMERCE) FROM COOPER.  HE WAS AN EXTENSIVE AREA LAND OWNER AND OWNER AND STOCKHOLDER OF LOCAL BUSINESSES.  A MEMBER OF THE MASONIC LODGE FOR 62 YEARS, HE ALSO RAISED CATTLE AND COTTON.  JOHN AND HIS FAMILY MADE MANY LASTING CONTRIBUTIONS TO THEIR COMMUNITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment